top of page

#J1jargon Translator: A Guide to J-1 US Visa program vocabulary


I have started this #J1jargon blog to help students in our J-1 program when they face miscommunication. It is here to help you understand all of the terminology J-1 recruiters, visa sponsors and the U.S. embassy use, when you are applying for your J-1 adventure!

We have all been educated in the English language through different sources, whether this is through formal classroom training, the music you listen to, the newspapers or books you read or the endless Friends episodes that are repeated on TV. Because of these diverse methods of learning, there is sometimes miscommunication. That's what this blog is here to prevent, so you can be more successful as an applicant when you are ready to apply for your J-1 Program.


So let's start with the basics and explain what the J-1 is and what Jargon means, as that's the entire point of this blog.

What does J-1 Jargon Translator stand for?


This is a visa program Training 4 Hospitality uses for students going to the USA on a Hospitality Internship. It is a visa that promotes cultural exchange and mutual understanding between different cultures.

Jargon ...

This simply means special words or expressions used by a profession or group that are difficult for others to understand


Keep an eye on this space as we'll be adding our first 2 translations this week, followed by a new article each week that explains something new! Also don't forget to tell your friends who are having difficulties understanding the J-1 Program to feel free to read this blog. Do you have difficulties with some J1 terminology? Then email me your suggestions for

#J-1Jargon at or feel free to comment below.

This blog cannot be seen as legal advice in any way. We write these blogs to help and inform J-1 candidates. The T4H team have worked as J-1 Sponsor Directors, J-1 Interns/Trainees, Host Property Managers and J-1 Agents in the Hospitality industry, and use these experiences to write this blog. If you need legal advise, we recommend contacting a registered lawyer.

63 views0 comments
bottom of page